Susan Driggers Hord, MSEd, Chair
Phone: (419) 995-8823
Office: 145G Tech Edu Lab
The Administrative Award is in compliance with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Licensing Rules 2003.
Requirements for educational training of Early Childhood Administrators can be found in the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Licensing Rules. These regulations state that in Ohio an administrator of a child care center must meet one of the following qualifications:
- A high school verification and two years of college, including the completion of at least four courses (12 semester hours) in child development or early childhood education from an accredited college,
- A high school diploma and two years of experience working as a child care staff member in a center and four courses (12 semester hours) in child development or early childhood education from an accredited college, university, or technical college,
- A currently valid child development associate credential issued by the National Child Development Associate (CDA) Commission and two years of experience. The CDA must be renewed as needed,
- An associate or higher degree in child development or early childhood education from an accredited college, university or technical college or a pre-kindergarten associate certificate that is issued by the State Board of Education,
- An administrator creditial as approved by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS)
See here for details.
The Administrator Concentration Award has been designed to meet the needs of persons interested in the administration of child care centers. Five ECE courses provide basic information relative to the development of young children, developmentally appropriate curriculum planning, administrative issues, positive guidance and classroom management. The five courses are a part of the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Early Childhood Education:
|EDU 1050||Introductory Child Development||3|
|EDU 1080||Classroom Management and Guidance||3|
|EDU 1300||Curriculum, Observation, and Assessment||3|
|EDU 2130 ||Families, Communities and Schools||3|
|EDU 2040||Administration and Health Management||3|
See www.RhodesState.edu/GainfulEmployment for additional information on certificates.